The Library holds an 1816 copy of Paolo Mascagni’s Anatomia per uso degli studiosi di scultura e pittura, published in Florence a year after the author’s death and dedicated to Ferdinand III, Grand Duke of Tuscany. The volumes features 15 engraved plates of the human body and its anatomy, and was designed to be used by students of painting and sculpture. It was only the 19th book to be purchased for the library collections, appearing in the original inventory of the library.
Mascagni studied anatomy in Siena before graduating in 1778. In 1780 he became assistant to his anatomy master Tabarrini before being elected to the Royal Swedish Academy in 1796. In 1801 he was appointed Professor of Anatomy at the University of Pisa by the King, before subsequently moving to the University of Florence. Throughout his studies he employed artists to make wax models of his discoveries. He died in 1815 and today a statue of him stands in the courtyard of the Uffizi, Florence.
Update June 2014: Sadly this volume was lost in the Mackintosh Library fire