The Golden Cockerel Press was a major English private press operating between 1920 and 1961. The type was hand-set and the books were printed on handmade paper, and sometimes on vellum. A major feature of Golden Cockerel books was the original illustrations, usually wood engravings, and the Press is credited with having made a significant contribution to the revival of the British tradition of wood engraving.
We hold four volumes from the press, all published whilst it was owned by Christopher Sandford between 1933 and 1959. We hold Laus Veneris from 1948 with engravings by John Buckland-Wright; Here’s Flowers, a 1937 anthology with wood engravings by John O’Connor; 1945’s Together and Alone and 1946’s We Happy Few, again with works by O’Connor.